There are several factors that may direct your email to your junk folder instead of directly into your inbox. Some of it may be content, image-to-text ratio, or simply that the address you're sending to does not yet recognize you as a legitimate sender and you need to be whitelisted.
You can scan your content for keywords that may be flagged as spam using SpamAssassin from within the Email Campaign Builder. This will help you identify possible problems with your email and help you correct them before you hit send.
SpamAssassin will also help you analyze your image-to-text ratio. Here are a few things to aim for:
A maximum of 40% image coverage
We recommend having several, smaller images with clear, descriptive alternate texts. This will help by:
- Preventing the email to be flagged as spam
- Encouraging people to display images (yielding you more accurate reports)
A minimum 60% text coverage
Not all images touching
At least 400 characters of text
As per anti-spam law, all emails must contain some form of text (even if it a simple “hello”).
MAKE SURE YOU ARE RECOGNIZED AS A LEGITIMATE SENDER
There are a few things you can do to make sure you are recognized as a legitimate sender:
- Follow best practices and use a double opt-in process. Test your form sing up process by signing yourself up for the newsletter and see where it lands.
- Make sure your recipients add you to their whitelist or address book.
- Make sure your recipients click on 'always display images from this sender' - which will let the email service know that you are a trusted sender.
- Validate your email address](../validating.email/)